You know holiday shopping is offensive and wasteful. You know Christmas "wish lists" and "gift exchanges" degrade the concept of giving. You know Christmas marketing is a scam, benefiting manufacturers, stores, and huge corporations, while driving individuals into debt. You know this annual consumer frenzy wreaks havoc on the environment, filling landfills with useless packaging and discarded gifts.
Yet, every year, you cave in and go shopping.
The relentless onslaught of advertising exerts constant pressure. So do the unified bleatings of herds of shoppers, who call you "Scrooge" if you fail to enthusiastically join their ritual orgy of consumption. Friends and family needle you with gift requests, store windows beckon with shiny colorful packages, the same "classic" holiday jingles are piped constantly through every speaker in town.
How can you resist?
Join the Christmas Resistance Movement!
The growing CHRISTMAS RESISTANCE MOVEMENT is joined in solidarity against the Shopping Season. For every 100 automatons who call you "Scrooge," there's a sparkly-eyed CHRISTMAS RESISTOR who supports YOU in NOT BUYING INTO THE HOLIDAY HYSTERIA.
Together, we boycott Christmas Shopping, Christmas decorations, Christmas cards, and every variety of Christmas Crap. We refuse to support the Holiday Industry. We show our love for friends and family by giving our time and care, not by purchasing consumer goods. We maintain the integrity of giving by giving spontaneously and from our hearts, rather than during a specified season.
You are not alone. Together, we can RESIST CHRISTMAS!
Christmas Resistance Tips
- Politely but firmly tell friends and family you are not buying Christmas presents this year. When they needle you later, remind them of your position and do not back down.
- If you are offered a gift, inform the giver that you are not buying something in exchange. If they insist you accept, thank them for their generosity. Chances are very slim they will buy you something next year.
- When temptation strikes, remember the Earth. Imagine your prospective purchase languishing in a landfill.
- Give gifts as the spirit moves you the rest of the year. Your thoughtfulness and generosity can set an example and erode the "scrooge" stereotype thrust on conscientious resistors.
More Readers' Tips
- Before Christmas, send friends and family a "Christmas card" wishing them happy times as well as explaining one's motivation for resisting the consumerization of Christmas. This might reduce the number of people who simply thought you forgot them, while spreading the idea of the xmas boycott. Perhaps a postcard (or even an Email) could serve the same purpose and be less wasteful, at the risk of being less personal. --Glenn Crownover